Sunday, February 24, 2008

Since I've already watched this week's episode of The Wire...

I'm taking a stab at live-blogging the Oscars tonight. Anyone else who is watching and would like to contribute can feel free to send your witty thoughts or cynical snark to badideajeans [at] gmail[dot]com. Here are my predictions of who will (but not necessarily should) get the hardware this evening.


PICTURE: No Country For Old Men
DIRECTOR: Joel and Ethan Coen
LEAD ACTOR: Daniel Day Lewis
LEAD ACTRESS: Julie Christie
SUPPORTING ACTOR: Javier Bardem
SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Amy Ryan
ANIMATED FEATURE: Ratatouille
ART DIRECTION: Sweeney Todd
CINEMATOGRAPHY: Robert Elswitt (There Will Be Blood)
COSTUME DESIGN: Sweeney Todd
DOC FEATURE: No End in Sight
DOC SHORT: Salim Baba
EDITING: No Country For Old Men
MUSIC SCORE: Michael Clayton
MUSIC SONG: Once - Falling Slowly
WRITING (Adapted Screenplay): No Country For Old Men
WRITING (Original Screenplay): Juno


UPDATE: My colleague has already pointed out that I neglected to mention the nomination of "Norbit" in Best Makeup, which is an accurate oversight, as I did not weigh in on Makeup, Sound Mixing/Editing, Visual Effects, Short Films, or Foreign Language Film. I'm simply not prepared to make calls in these categories as I have not seen the majority of films nominated there. That said, everyone with a soul should be rooting for Transformers in the Sound Mixing Category, as Kevin O'Connell earned his 20th Nomination, yet is still seeking his 1st win. I for one hope Kevin's time has come tonight.

No comments: