Tuesday, November 10, 2009

BIBJ Playlist of the 2000s entry #69: Fidelity by Regina Spektor



Oh Regina.  You and I have such a conflicted history together.  Half the time I find your slight vocal affectations unique and endearing, such as the "bett-aww" repetitions in the bridge above.  Yet often times you can't contain yourself, and what begins as charming goes overboard (see the chorus progression through "Us," or the terrible newer song that reminds me of Joan Osborne*) to the point where I entertain thoughts of ramming an ice pick through my ear.

*Attention everyone:  I think we're all set on songs concerning God's point of view.  Thanks very much.  Shut it down. 

*****

Have you heard that newspapers are dying?  You probably have not, as it's a theory that I just now came up with for the first time ever.  But believe me, this theory is going to blow up HUGE soon.  The question that has yet gone unanswered is this:  What can be done to save newspapers?

I'm proud to say that the University of Arizona has come up with an answer.  Let columnists include the phrase "grow some balls" in headlines. Especially when calling out frat boys.

Oh sure, it's unorthodox.  Some might claim that you couldn't get away with these journalistic practices in major metropolitan newspapers, but nothing could be further from the truth.  Believe me, if any Tribune or Sun-Times commentary ran with a heading along the lines of "Mayor Daley installs more parking meters in lieu of balls," I'd subscribe tomorrow.




No comments: