Tuesday, December 15, 2009

BIBJ Playlist of the 2000s entry #2: B.O.B. / Hey Ya! by OutKast


That's right, we're going Two for Tuesday!

Classic Rock FM radio has offered no shortage of terrible ideas throughout the years, but the "Two for Tuesday" concept might be my favorite.  (And by "favorite," I obviously mean "most despised").  I spent the summer of 1998 in Clayton, Indiana, running electricity at a new school construction project.  The electrician running the job had Q95 blaring for 8 solid hours a day, so I became well versed in sitting through roughly 7 1/2 hours of awful classic rock/Tom Raper radio ads each day, clinging to the oasis of the random Led Zeppelin offering that would disrupt the stream of Foghat or Yes or Skynyrd or any other godawful 70's "legends".  But Two for Tuesday was clearly the most brutal day of the week.  "You mean instead of suffering through one shitty Santana song, I have to hear that terrible guitar for two songs in a row?!  Perfect.  If you need me, I'll be in the room next door driving this phillips head screwdriver directly into my ear canal.  Hopefully I'll have bled to unconsciousness by the time the back-to-back Foreigner hits make it on air.  Feel free to resuscitate me when the 'We Will Rock You'/'We Are the Champions' medley hits.  Or when they play some Supertramp." 

But where was I?  Ah yes, Bad Idea Two For Tuesday!

It's a given that everyone is now contractually obligated to sing the praises of "B.O.B.", even if it was more or less universally ignored upon it's original release.  Sometimes great art has to age.  Just ask Vincent Van Gogh.  Not only did that jerkstore die penniless, but he also failed to write anything with the cultural significance and staying power of shouting "Bible Power Music, Electric Revival!" 23 times in a row.

But as the saying goes, fool me once: shame on you.  Fool me twice, and that's what a fool believes.**  So nobody would be caught sleeping on "Hey Ya!", even if it made everyone more that a little uncomfortable that your parents were shaking their Polaroids during Aunt Barb's second wedding reception.  That said, 2003 was a long time ago for a duo who haven't released anything since (aside from a soundtrack), so let's pick it up boys.  It's not a good sign when there have been two Tupac albums and only one OutKast album in the last six years.

**Fuck the Doobie Brothers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was "Power Music, Electric Revival" or "I smoke weed, then I go read the Bible" one of the two. Definitely not "Bible Music"

TC said...

I believe you are correct. I must have been subtly and incorrectly influenced by the gospel choir. Damn their subversive abilities.