It was...sort of.
Purdue took down the Cardinals 68-39 tonight. The new starting lineup of LewJack, Nemanja, Kramer, Smooge, and Hummel still got off to a lackluster start letting Ball St. hang around until Purdue finally eclipsed 11 points and never looked back. Either way, it was good to see Painter mixing things up.
The 3-point shooting was still awful with the Boilers only hitting 3 overall. Yet the defense - the same defense that coach Matt Painter has publicly criticized recently - responded very well to the challenge holding BSU scoreless for a ridiculously long stretch and forcing 21 turnovers.
Side note A: Muncie traffic is rancid.
Side note B: Multiple news outlets (ESPN.com, Sportsline.com and not PurdueSports.com) included with their AP stories a tidbit about the Ball St. crowd chanting "Where's your bowl game?" clap, clap, clapclapclap!
That's not the whole story, though.
- It started with the 40 or so Paint Crew members chanting "Ball State High School."
- Then the Ball St. student section, the Nest, retorted with "Where's your bowl game."
- Purdue fired back "Buff-a-lo! Buff-a-lo! Buff-a-lo!"
- The Cardinals: "Four and nine! Four and nine!"
- After some scoreboard pointing, the Paint Crew went with "We can't hear you," and Ball State's students had no response.