Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Scenes from a Winnipeg City Bus

I would defy any motion picture art director to design a scene with as much nuance as whatever is happening here.


The longer I look at this, the more questions I have.  First off, the captain of the Stanley Cup champions is riding on mass transit of Winnipeg, Canada, for reasons that go unanswered.  The bus itself is cramped and claustrophobic.  The sunglasses on the ignored toddler are pulled from central casting.  And Jonathan Toews is legitimately channeling his inner Lost in Translation/Broken Flowers-era Bill Murray to pull off a vacant unflinching stare of existential contemplation.  Finally, add in the Stanley Cup, which makes every situation approximately 71% more surreal simply by its mere presence, and before I know it, I feel myself staring at this thing the way Cameron Frye was captivated by Georges Seurat.  

1 comment:

Blue Jeans Doctor said...

This photo is UNBELIEVABLE. Your comments are spot on!! Excellent.